Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Message

Annas was sitting among the stones on the Mount Jaza. He was in midst of his meditation when he was summoned by Kabeer. It was only Kabeer who could summon anyone whom he wished and he would never be denied. He was the most pious man in the small pious town of Al waraa’.  Nobody knew how he reached the town, or who he really was, but the people of Al waraa’ welcomed him any way. He seemed to have the magical touch, a touch which was blessed upon only few and hence the people of this small town never let him go.
“Annas, not always do I have a request, but today is different and my heart gives me immense pleasure when I see that you have been chosen for the most important task of my life.
Annas was joyous, people went to Kabeer to seek help and here was the great man asking him to do the most important task of his life.
 “I would do anything for you O Kabeer
“I am pleased to hear that pious man, but I would like you to hear what you have to do”
“Surely O mighty Kabeer, but I my answer is that of a man whose word is immovable just like the caves of Mount Jaza”
Kabeer smiled and continued
“I want you to leave Jaza and go to the forests, collect the finest of wood enough to make an ark. Take this ark and go to the bank of the river that flows in the town of Al waraa’ and make the ark.”
Annas was worried and asked “Is it a fault of mine for which I have been asked to leave this town?, or is the town of Al waraa’ going to face the wrath of nature?”
“No my brother, you are the purest of spirit and it is only the purest of spirit who is asked for a sacrifice”
“Where is it that I have been asked to go?”
“The ark you make will guide you to your destination Annas.”
“What about my brothers, Kabeer?”
“They will be with you”
Annas was happy that his brothers will be with him for this journey and left for the woods. He collected the strongest of wood. He carried the wood over the mules he found at the woods.
He started making the ark at the bank of the river. A few brothers saw him making the ark and asked him
“Why is it that the pious man is making something as huge as this? Have you started craving for the worldly pleasures and want to leave the town of Al waraa’?”
“I never had a craving for worldly pleasures and will never crave it. If there is anything I crave for then it is my task and if you believe this pious man then talk not much of it, but give a helping hand”
And the brothers started helping Annas in building the ark. The help increased and every day a few brothers brought wood, some brought food and water for the tired brothers and some worked when others were tired.
The ark was ready when the second full moon rose high in the sky. The town of Al waraa’ was now settled near the banks of the river.
While his brothers were admiring the beautiful ark, Annas was summoned by Kabeer.
“The ark is beautiful O pious man, and now I must fulfill my duty of letting you to set sail”
“But my brothers are tired and will fall asleep in the while; I will set sail at dawn when the sun will guide us”
“Annas, O pious man, your brothers are not destined to be on this ark. It is you who must set sail”
“Then why is it that the sacrifice is asked only of me when the town of Al waraa’ is the purest of soul?”
“You are the purest of all O Annas. It is the purest of spirit who is asked to sacrifice and you are the purest of all”
“What is it that I will have to sacrifice?”
“You have been asked to leave this town and set sail to lands far away. Let them see the man of the purest of spirit come to them. Bless those who are the darkest of spirit, so that they do not meet the others but curse those with a spirit as pure as yours. For the purest of spirit, should move to far off lands, so that the purest of spirit cover the face of mother earth”
“What about my brothers?”
“Have you not understood as yet, that the town of Al waraa’ is cursed! Your brothers will leave the town too, to spread the message”
“And when would I know that my purpose is achieved?”
“When you meet your brother at the other end of mother earth, you would know that your message has been sent and your purpose is achieved”
Annas walked to the bank of the river where the magnificent ark shone in the light of the full moon. He climbed the ark while his brothers were sleeping. And set sail to the lands far off.


Footnotes:

This is my tribute to Kahlil Gibran, the man who wrote beautifully about the spirit. The story is adapted from various spiritual learnings. Here the names of the town and the characters of the story also have a meaning and would help you understand the bigger picture of the story, but thats an effort you will have to take.
Hope you like reading it.

Image courtesy: thefuturebuzz.com
to vote for this post on Indivine click here