Saturday, January 9, 2010

Who writes our Destiny?-(Blog-a-ton 6)

 This post has been published by me as a part of the Blog-a-Ton 6; the fifth edition of the online marathon of Bloggers; where we decide and we write. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton.



There are two reasons why I like this picture.One of the reasons why I love this picture is because this is exactly how we begin when we decide to do start something. Our heads resting are resting on our wrists; a pen which is moving only in random directions and eyes pondering around, looking for inspiration. I was sitting exactly like this when my dotting mom came into my room with a huge (really huge) plate of Gajar ka Halwa.




"Beta, you still haven't eaten the Halwa I made" 
"Yes ma, I will eat it but now I am writing, please let me concentrate!" 
"Eat the Halwa, you will think better" she joked.




I kept the plate besides the laptop, eating a spoon between long intervals of roof gazing. My imagination seemed to have been lost in the Ghee laden Gajar ka Halwa. Another reason why I can’t think when there is food around me is because my mom gets very finicky about me finishing the food. To be honest I would love to finish every plate she gave me, but for that I would need another stomach. So I decided to take the escape route.
The escape route is a small dustbin which is strategically placed very close to my study table. Let me explain, my mom comes from a generation which thought that more food means a smarter kid; (I will definitely agree with the smart kid thing, but they seem to forget, rather conveniently the obese dimension of the kid too) so when I sit to study, there is always something special on the plate.




So well I took the escape route, and the rest of the Gajar ka Halwa went in to the dustbin. What I didn’t know was that, my mom was right at the door watching me take the escape route.
“The Halwa wasn’t good?”
“Mom it was brilliant, the only thing was that it was too much”
“Then I believe you have a mouth to speak out”
“Mom, you get upset when I say that”
“And you think this wouldn’t upset me?”
“Mom!” I shouted, got up from the table with a jerk; a couple of books and stationary fell off the table. I stormed out of the house. I don’t know why I did it, but I was very upset at the constant nagging and fuss made about food at my house.




I ran down the flight of stairs and sat on a bench near the gate of the society. This was one place I came to, to cool down my temper. The open air, the shade of the trees and a rear dry leaf falling from them, this place was always a great leveller for me.
“What happened sahib?” Chotu asked
Chotu was a fruit seller; he always came near our society gate at the end of his day. He was also fond of the shade below the trees, and it also made a great place for him to take account of how much he had earned through the day.
“You don’t seem to be in a good mood?” he asked.
“I am ok, Chotu. How was your day?”
“I made 150 rupees today”
“Hmm not bad huh Chotu”
“Really? How much does the Biryani cost at Hyderabad House?”
“I don’t remember Chotu, may be a hundred thirty or something, why?”
“I have a dream. One day I will eat the Biryani at the Hyderabad house, I heard it is very good. But I don’t think the day is today, my drunken father will take this 150 from me”




 He left with a twinkle in his eyes hoping to have a meal he could only dream about, while I was left wondering, how different our lives are. Here was a boy who longed for luxuries of life, while I made a fuss & threw tantrums, when life itself was offering me everything at its best. While arguing with my mother in the heat of the moment I forgot to be thankful to The Almighty for blessing me with everything one could wish for. 


This post has been published by me as a part of the Blog-a-Ton 6; the sixth edition of the online marathon of Bloggers; where we decide and we write. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton.
 To promote this post on Indivine click here

32 comments:

Madhu | INDImag.com said...

That was a sweet post. '..need another stomach' was funny.

Moms will be moms, they spoil you rotten. But mine is not doting in the least when it comes to food, everything else, she is. Cooking is a hobby of mine and when I left for the US my mom told me this " I will not be around to tell you to keep your cooking-eating in check. But be careful, you are still unmarried and if you bloat up no one's going to marry you !" :-)

Jokes apart, yes, we often fail to realize how lucky we are..

harman said...

yes..we should always value..what we have and not make afuss...
gajar ka halwa supposedly ..carrot desert.. and u aNNOYED for no reason...enjoy..life and love those who care for u....ur mom..!!

Rajlakshmi said...

thats why we shouldnt waste food... some one out there must be dying for a piece of roti we throw away... wonderfully narrated... the gap in the society will be there... it depend on us how we bridge that :)
you have brilliantly painted the picture...

Neeraj Shinde said...

So is it the food that writes our destiny? ;-)
Just kidding Shahid! A Post with a real good message! About Moms they are always the same - more food meaning better kids kinds! :P

Megha said...

So true, we never care what we have :(
Nicely written :)

aativas said...

I liked your narration style. The message seems rather refreshing when you tell this story :)

Shilpa Garg said...

A very sweet post, indeed, with a sweet learning too!
Great going, Shahid! :)

Rakesh Vanamali said...

Lessons, quickly learnt! Very well - wiser now!

Important to take cognizance of happenings in life and learn from them - as I've said before!

And for destiny - each of us writes his own! Don't you think?

aayanman said...

Irony is we dont value stuff when we have it...there are scores of people in this world who want to value it but don't have it. Good post.

Nethra said...

Yes, you are blessed. I too so much wish (at the moment) that I had a plate of halwa in front of me.
It was a nice read, dude. :)

Karthik said...

Excellent post, Shahid. Loved it. It's always the same with moms. But dude, did you throw away that gajar ka halwa? Oh, man! I always get two stomachs when I'm presented with such a dish. :-)
YOu are right. We often fail to realize how fortunate we are.
All the best!
Cheerios!

Rocksa said...

Hello Shahid! Your post definitely left me craving for Gajar ka halwa! I was disappointed to know you threw it ..Really sweet of your mom to ask you with so much patience as to why you threw it...Had I been in her place, I'd have taken the whip out of the closet to chide you! :P :P LOL...on a serious note, may the heart of the little boy who and many like him who yearn for simple pleasures be blessed! Nice message! Good luck!

Tavish Chadha(sensible-bakwas.com) said...

A very sweet post Shahid... as sweet as gajar ka halwa i must say... :)

Its strange how some experiences can change ur outlook on life all of a sudden... I had one too check out the post Click here

cheers!
Tavish

Just Another Life said...

ok i'm hungry now.. for ghee laden gajar ka halwa... :)

Shady West Side said...

@ madhu: well I never thought moms could be diff...and thanx for the compliment, looks like Gajar ka halwa served its purpose!!!

@Harman: yups bro learned my lesson.......good to see you on my blog,...keep visiting

@rajalakshmi: Thanx and welcome to my blog. Saw your blog left a comment there...

Shady West Side said...

@ neeraj: I agree moms will be moms.....


@ megha: thnx, I am glad u liked it....keep visiting


@aativas: your comment made my day man...thnx a lot

Shruti said...

Gajar-ka-halwa, that too full of ghee :P
Yummy..
You covered the gaps in the society very well! Good one :)

Shady West Side said...

@ shilpa: sweet post hmmmm..I think its coz of the halwa...thnx

@Rakesh : We can control to an extent where we end up , where we start is probably not in our hands...but yes lessons have to be learned


@gyanban: Life is full of Irony....

Shady West Side said...

@ Nethra: I am glad u liked it…keep visiting my blog…and gajar ka halwa..I guess I owe it to all my readers a plate


@karthik: Two stomachs…well I wish I had two but well….I read ur post too..left a comment there….keep visiting my blog

Shady West Side said...

@ Raksha: Ok..you’ve scared me to death when u said u would get a whip….its just halwa yaar….You know simple pleasures…are always so good to have…we are unfortunate to have ambitions which are very difficult to fulfill in our life…theirs is just so achievable



@Tavish : I read ur post…yes pretty similar…..treat ur self to a halwa bro…u deserve one


@ justanother: Some things can make u hungry anytime anywhere…gajar ka halwa is one of it

Shady West Side said...

@ Shruti: thanx ...I am glad u liked the post....keep visiting

Prashansa said...

This is a nice interpretation of the picture. Yes we should be always thankful for what we have.I liked your style of writing.It is very simple and straight forward!

Makk said...

Awww....Poor Chap...

Invite me next time you get your Gajar ka full plate pulleeeezzzz!

:)

:D

geeta said...

Your story is as sweet as Gajar ka halwa..
liked it!!

Shady West Side said...

@pra: I am so glad and happy that you like my style of writing....its a gr8 compliment u can give to any writer...thnx again and keep visitin

@Makk: The next time I see gajar ka halwa I will invite you for sure


@Geeta: Thanx geeta, my pleasure

Anonymous said...

ohh..Thats very true. We usually never realise what we have. Glad you did. Great job..

Gauri said...

Nice story! Not fiction i believe?
My four years away from home has made me realize importance of food made by my mom.

Good luck for BATOM6! :)

Unknown said...

too gud!!!
awesumm!!!
especially d flow of d matter...
sahi haii yaar...
gajar ka halwa :-(

Pushpz said...

sweet post...nice:)

Mahesh Aadhya Kalal said...

Your post reminds me Abraham Maslow's hierarchy of needs....
it did convey many unsaid words....
very gud attempt.....
it do reflects the social gap in our society...

Tuppence said...

nice message and a good relation to the post..
it takes us some sad moments and some pain to realize how lucky we are..

Anonymous said...

Hey that is a brilliant tale...Liked the message it tells!!
:~)
Inb/w I am following your blog!