Monday, February 14, 2011

What a wonderful world



The moon had taken over the sky on a Sunday night. It was on its way to witness another complete revolution of the earth on its axis, it would like always bring in a new day in a few moments. Sameer was staring idly at his Face book page.
His phone clicked a couple of times indicating a message. It was another of those early Valentine’s Day messages sent by a few who knew how to save a buck or two. He walked to the balcony of his house, it was late in the night and the city was peaceful.
The facebook page made a noise. It was Nida, his friend.
“How bad do I look?” she asked
“Ummm..that’s a tough question “ he typed back in reply
“Sameer it’s a serious question”
“You don’t look bad at all Nida! why that question?”
There was no response from Nida for a while.
“deR?”
“Yeah”
“What happened? Bol na
“Nothing, that’s the problem”
His phone clicked again
“Is this about Valentine’s day?”
There was no response again for a while.
“I think that’s a yes”
“Yes” came the reply in an instant
“But leave it” she added “Its mighty depressing not having someone special in your life as it is, discussing it makes it sound even more depressing”
oye, it isn’t depressing at all”
He waited for her to say something but there was nothing
“Let me explain. Tomorrow is Valentine’s right. It will be a reason for someone who loves you or adores you or even has a slight crush on you to come forward and tell you that”
“So?”
“Think, someone whom you really adore, comes forward and says ‘Can I ask you something’, I am sure you will be on cloud nine for a few seconds. Aren’t we living for those few moments in life?”
“Hah”
And just like many years ago Sameer had made Nida smile.
                                                    **************
“Team meeting” her TL announced
“Now?”
He nodded and went on announcing around the other cubicles. She picked her phone from the desk and headed towards the elevators. When the door opened she made her way towards it, she fumbled at the small gap between the cabin and the door. A guy held her. He was fair and tall and looking handsome in the white shirt. His arms were still supporting her
“Can I ask you something” he asked her chuckling.
Nida closed her eyes “Sameer you idiot” she cursed under her breath.
                                                    **************
Nida was at her doorstep, looking for the keys to the house when her phone rang. It was Sameer. She picked it
I see trees of green, red roses too” he crooned “I see them bloom, for me and you and I think to myself …what a wonderful world
Nida had a huge smile on her face “What was that?”
“A song”
“I know and a bad singer to add to that, but why the song?”
I see skies of blue, clouds of white. Bright blessed days, dark sacred nights and I think to myself …what a wonderful world
“That doesn’t answer my question”
The colours of a rainbow…so pretty in the sky. Are also on the face… of people going by. I see friends shaking hands, saying how do you do…They are really saying…I love you
The smile widened “really?”
“Why? You are my best friend and I love you for that. I thought it was Valentine’s Day and why not let you know”
“I know, what’s the harm”
“You know had I not known you so well, I would have asked you out”
Nida smiled, Sameer had once again made her day.


Footnotes:
May all of you find love in everything around you! 

7 comments:

hamaarethoughts.com said...

very nice...happy valentine...!

Shady West Side said...

@ harman: that was quick :-)

Anant said...

what a wonderful post,u made people's day SWS,

priya said...

nice 1..

Jon said...

that was a wonderful story...refreshed from the countless love guru blogs

Anonymous said...

awesome story buddyy even frnds can make our day on valentines

Bikram said...

HEy this comment is for Ray ban baba 4.. For some reason I can only comment if there are previous comments and i cant see this box there ..

anyway I guess in todays modern world dumbells are the modern medicines as they keep us FIT :)

good story

Bikram's