Sunday, August 15, 2010

A Special independence

Its 63 years now. On the 15th of August every year, we watch those patriotic programs which have been stored by the television channels for this day. We see them and with a sense of irony change the channels cursing the state of the nation.

Now first things first, our state is not as bad as it sounds. Yes I dare to say that even when the entire CWG committee is torn down by the media for corruption. I don't know if Kalmadi was involved in the corruption or not( really?...lets discuss that for later), but the fact is that we need to carry ourselves together and make sure that the show is a success( I don't know how but its a cliche and i had to say it). For the rest of it, our country is doing well. There is one half of the country which is living luxuriously and is content with life. The rural or the BVP population will only grow from here. A good economy is like a wave and it is only about time that this wave washes off the poverty in our country to a good extent if not entirely.

I agree I am very optimistic about things, but I don't know any better. I tend to believe that when you feel good about yourself good things will happen to you. And that is where I feel we need to start looking at the positives we have. May be we have not been successful in eradicating poverty and other epidemics from our country entirely but we have done much better than the so called developed nations. I wish the media would have highlighted the fact that India dealt with Swine Flu in a much more efficient manner than a lot of other countries. All we need is more awareness and epidemics will surely be taken care of. Awareness is easily said and done and that is the precise reason why I plead for patience.

I am getting carried away but returning to the point of feeling good about ourselves, I remember reading an article by our ex president Dr APJ Abdul Kalam who said that the media is very negative in India. When he was on a tour to Israel, the news of blasts, murders , accidents and the kind never found the first three pages of the newspapers. Now compare that to our papers, we also have scary looking and acting people hosting shows about the murders and rapes happening in our country. How do you expect to feel good about yourself after all this.

May be I am not qualified enough for this, but if I have to say something about our nation, we are still prisoners of our thoughts and negativity. We need independence from this attitude of ours which no one can do for us. Its upon ourselves to do that.

Footnotes:


Jai Hind!!!