Thursday, December 31, 2009

The 77second Story

Its been more than a week and I hadn't written anything on my blog. I was wondering where my next blog post would come from( not having the net connection at home doesn't help), well the answer was a 77 second signal near Lakshminarayan Theatre. I saw a small kid reading a piece of paper, it reminded me of one of the incidents when I was in the sixth grade.
Our school teachers always encouraged us to participate in elocution competitions. I got selected through a preliminary round, ( how the hell did I get selected?) despite having no experience of public speaking. I got a speech written by a senior friend of mine on a piece of small paper. I carried it every where I went, and made sure I remember every word of it.
The elocution competitions were always well attended at our school.The auditorium is set up for the competition. Almost the entire school is watching. The biggest challenge was to always speak what you had prepared,if you forget your speech or get stuck, the audience are sure to give you a tough time speaking.
The morning of the competition I walked to the auditorium, the audience had already assembled (even though I knew that the numbers are  high, the size of the audience gave me goose bumps). A senior of mine walked up to me "How is your preparation?"
"I don't know about the preparation, but the crowd is huge"
"Well, that means that the applause will be really loud!"
Those words changed something in me, because I wasn't nervous anymore, to be honest my speech sounded like mugged up crap, but the applause was good. That particular incident, changed the extremely shy Shahid to the Shahid you people know today.

With the choice of our words we can change the lives of people, so it is very necessary that we use our words judiciously and carefully.

 I don't think that particular interaction wouldn't have been longer than 77 seconds itself. This is one lesson which I learned years later today during those 77 seconds.....

Footnotes:

Image courtesy: commons.wikimedia.org 

To promote this post on  Indivine click here

12 comments:

Sunny said...

Nice buddy...
Just wanna add 1 line -
"If u think u can or If u think U can't...
U r correct in both ways..." :)

Anonymous said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!
Its a fact....Some words can work as magic...
too gud...inspired by dis..

Anonymous said...

Nice one..
BEAUTIFUL..
words are more powerful than sword..

Shilpa Garg said...

That was wonderful, Shahid!! Truly inspiring!!
Wishing you the very best and a very happy new year!!
Cheers :)

Anonymous said...

...With the choice of our words we can change the lives of people, so it is very necessary that we use our words judiciously and carefully...

well said Shahid! wishing you a very happy and fulfilling new year 2010 !

Shady West Side said...

@ Sunny , very true.....
@vineeta ( Anonymus 1): I am glad that u got inspired, this was something which changed me entirely
@Anisa ( Anonymus2): thanx, and i agree words are awesome
@shilpa: I am glad you liked it, And wish you a happy new Year,truly this year has been a memorable one for me
@Deepedra: I try and follow these rules all the time bcoz I am a product of these few good words and wish you a Happy New Year too...

ishjindal said...

hey thats really a nice post...you can check out my techblog at http://ishjindal.blogspot.com/ may be we can have a link exchange/...

Rakesh Vanamali said...

Something that I really appreciate you is for taking cognizance of happenstances in life and learn from them! Thats the sure sign of a leader headed to success! On this note, let me wish you a very happy and prosperous new year, one that shall bring you some of the best, yet!

Krishna said...

Great Post,
Judicial & careful use of words can change the lives, I had also written an article with titled " The Magic of Words " & know how words can affect other living beings.
''77 Seconds'' Great Title with such an Nice post.

Krishna said...

hey, You've got a brand new follower upto the time till you write such great posts.
Keep on moving future...

Shady West Side said...

@ Shri Krishna: I am honored, I will try my best not to disappoint you.

Anonymous said...

Lovely story Shahid ! Indeed Inspiring !