Saturday, January 2, 2010

Bowled Over by Priya


You dirty dirty minds....I know some of you would be picturing a hot gal( and expecting me to tell you about her), but the Priya I am talking about is a small breakfast place close to where I stay.
My brothers have been frequenting this place for quite a while, and today they took me along for breakfast.

I was amazed at the environment. A guy walked up to us and wished us luck for the New Year, and then cleaned up the table and chair. He came up for the order and even suggested us our breakfast. I came to learn that his name was Suresh. He was popular among the customers, especially his "attempts" at English.
The breakfast was ready along with Suresh's comments on todays news. The environment was full of energy thanks to Suresh.
Well we met Harish at the counter, who seemed to shy and reserved. And Behind him was a small message displayed



The message says that " This institution does not hire any children". It was something which my brother Rahil pointed out to me. It is something which both Harish and Suresh believe in. I found it very noble and refreshing. It is a very common sight at small places to hire children to clean tables, serve breakfast and do the tiny bits at these places. But it is nice to see people like Harish and Suresh, who have their morals at the right place.





In the pic above:(L to R)Harish and Suresh


When we start anything new, we feel good about it. For me it was the same, the first morning of the new year and I get to meet these special guys. I am really proud of the fact that a common man in our country is thinking of making a difference to the society, a very positive facet indeed.
If this is the picture, then I am sure that our dream of becoming a super power with its heart at the right place is not far away.

_____________________________________________________________________


Footnotes:


To promote this post on Indivine click here

7 comments:

Rakesh Vanamali said...

Been trying hard to post a comment for a long time now!

First - good to know that folks these days think different and well at that! Hopefully, thoughts and attitudes will change a nation for the better!

Second - Very good template here you've got! Neat, tidy and fast to load, all of which were absolutely necessary for a long time now

Third - I'm glad to see me among the list of top commentators! ;) Super kool

Good job on the template!

Shady West Side said...

I must thank you Rakesh for pushing me to change my template...I felt my old template had a certain character to it, the certain unorganized and rustic feel to it, But I guess for the sake of content I had to move on and well here I am

Thanks again Rak...all credit to you

aayanman said...

Good post

It is a good and bad thing IMHO. there are scores of children who become criminals when they dont get work.So I think we should provide forums for all underprivileged children to undergo some sort of vocational training mandatory ,so that they can grow up to become contributors to the society.

Tathagata Ghosh said...

well, i must admit,the title impressed me to grant this post as another love story sort of.but to my dismay, on scrolling down i found the picture of the man and was bowled over. anyways liked the post. i can feel the positive vibes that you keep sending me. thank you.

magiceye said...

power to people like harish and suresh! maay their tribe increase.
thank you for highlighting these noble souls

MADHU RAO | (INDImag.COM) said...

Nice post Shahid. Children belong in school and not workplaces. But I need to agree with Gyanban as well, we cannot just pull the plug on a family that cannot afford school and needs every member to work. Sad but it is a reality. Vocational training that pays a bit and has a school built in to teach the kids the basics would be the way to go ....

Shady West Side said...

I agree too with Madhu and Gyanban....no doubt they are the only source of income for families in India...you know I don't know how many ppl have heard of an NGO Aakanksha....it does exactly that..gives vocational training