Saturday, May 1, 2010

Escape Blog-a Ton 10


This post has been published by me as a part of the Blog-a-Ton 10; the tenth edition of the online marathon of Bloggers; where we decide and we write. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton.

There would have been many days better than today. The grey clouds and the occasional thunder accompanied by lightning did not make the day look anymore auspicious. But he had to go ahead with it, after all it was a plan and he had to execute it.
His phone rang
“Yes” he answered
“Dude, where in the world are you?”
“Here, kicking”
“Is everything ok?”
“Yes, I am actually hooked on to some kind of work right now; can I talk to you later?”
“Ok (surprised)”
He switched the phone off.
He turned around and saw himself surrounded by mountains dressed in green; the sun was hiding behind the clouds. It would have been great to see the sun  but he did not have the time, he had something more important. So he kick started his bike and left the garb of Mother Nature he was holding on to.
The lush greens were turning to beautiful browns, it was a sign, and it meant that the city was approaching. It took him back to the very first time he saw this city, it wasn't the concrete jungle it is. There were lesser people, but together they were much happier than they are today. He loved the rains the city welcomed him with, and that is when he fell in love with it.
The thunder grew louder but that couldn’t stop him in his mission, his plan was the inevitable. As he approached the city, it reminded him of something special. Every first is a special, first pen, the first car, the first kiss, first love. This city gave him all his firsts, but what did he do. He found the love of his life here, but couldn’t he love the city a little more in return?
As a young man, he always lived his life to the fullest. He was adored and envied at the same time. It doesn’t take the long for an evil eye to cast a spell, and spell it did cast.
He had already entered the city, it was supposed to be afternoon and the traffic was moderate. He would soon reach the city bridge.
It was one beautiful afternoon, when he was living his beautiful life when suddenly everything went wrong. A drunken night, an injection and a disease; his life was changed forever. He carried the disease for a long time without even knowing about it, but eventually it did show its ugly head. All he could do was to face it for as long as possible
He reached the city bridge; he parked his bike on the pavement and sat on the floor with his back on the bike. He took out a note which he had written long back



Hi;  Hey
I want to start this in a good way, but there is no good way. Yes I have been diseased, I have been diseased when I was living my life, and now this disease is about to take it away. I don’t know if it was my mistake, was living life the fullest at all times a mistake. Should I have stayed indoors with fear? I don’t think so, and so I again decided to do things just the way I have done, just the way I want, according to my will entirely.
No I am not ending my life, I lived life faster. I did everything I ever wanted to, visited every place I wanted to, met everyone who mattered.
So this is not the end of my life.
This is my escape.

The winds grew strong; they embraced him for a moment and then snatched the note from him. He saw the note glide with the wind, and he smiled. He put all the weight in the bag. He searched his jacket, to find something. He found the injection; he uncapped the needle and poked it into his arm slowly injecting it inside his body. It started taking effect almost immediately. He raised his head to catch a glimpse of the sun, the clouds had started moving away from the sun, but his legs gave away and he fell from the bridge.
There was a huge splash, the sound of the city vanished above the waters and the sunlight came through the clouds and shone above his head, but it turned dark again.
He had escaped.
 



The fellow Blog-a-Tonics who took part in this Blog-a-Ton and links to their respective posts can be checked here. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton.




14 comments:

T F Carthick said...

Nice writing style. But I did not understand the story. Somebody poked him with AIDS needle and he wanted to die immediately. Instead he enjoyed for few years and then committed suicide?

Vinay Leo R. said...

a good writing style.. all the best..

Escape

Shady West Side said...

@ fool: you are correct and thanks

@ leo: thanx

aayanman said...

I had a bit of a knee -jerk reaction to this story.I think the central idea is good.

Mahesh Aadhya Kalal said...

Interesting read...
nice one :)

Sureindran said...

I see alot of good things via your post - the awareness on AIDS, the positive approach in life and so on. But again, I wish he didn't commited suicide, instead, continue living life they way he wants. Nice post!

Sureindran R. - Escape

Nethra said...

It made a good read and showed how cruel the world is. Nice story! :)

Anonymous said...

Good work here. Best for BAT10

Anonymous said...

Hmm...I'm torn. When I read the topic I thought of suicide as a theme as well. But somehow I cannot agree with someone taking their lives because they have a disease like AIDS. I am aware that people commit suicide when everything looks hopeless but still. Good luck with BAT-10!

Jon said...

A good sad blog... Reading your recent posts I come to a conclusion that you are very saddened about the plight of Mumbai... Am I right?

Rakesh Vanamali said...

Intense, painful and yet liberating for the character!

Very well written with a style that is neither too depressing nor too trivial in highlighting the plight of the subject that is in the heart of suffering!

Vibushan L Narayan said...

That letter sounded like Kurt Cobain talking! :D Nicely written! I loved tat letter the best. Good luck for BATOM!

Unknown said...

hmm, different type of story.. powerful writing! all the best!

Anonymous said...

The story was very nice. I liked the idea behind it. Very different kind of entry.
But one small suggestion - hope you dont mind. I found lot of "the" in the post.