Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Chase

2:00 am- I was on my way back home after a pleasure ride. The moon was hiding behind the roof of a newly constructed high rise, only scattering its light from the edges. The occasional wind blowing was something to treasure and a respite from the heat. The clouds were scattered, as if nature was attempting its hand at abstract art. [ funny thing about abstract art: you don't understand a shit about it unless the person is drunk].


I reached the junction to my house and my pleasure time was over. Stealth was the word. I switched off the headlights of my bike. I drove it at a very low speed to ensure that not much noise was made. I felt for my shirt pocket to ensure that my keys are in my pocket. 


My phone rang.


My cover was compromised, I was spotted. There were growls, barks and howls. The Chase had begun. I drove as quickly as I could. They chased and chased and chased. The chase for them was like a relentless pursuit of something important in life. I don't have even the remotest idea about what it could be and I don't want to know.




2:30 am- I rushed my bike into the parking and closed the main gate. I sat on my bike breathing heavily. I wiped off the beads of sweat on my forehead. The Chase was unsuccessful  I don't know for how long I would continue winning. I am sure the law of averages would catch up one day. I dread that day. I reached for my phone to check who had blown off my cover. It was my friend . I called him back


"why did you call ?" I asked


"Wanted to know if you were chased by the dogs today!!"




Footnotes: 
Stray dogs are a menace which irritate so many people in India and has lead to many accidents too. One including a close friend of mine who had a serious fall from a bike because of a stray dog. I think we should be more alert as citizens and make sure that the concerned authorities know about this situation and proper action is taken.


Image courtesy: 4thstreetpokertour.typepad.com




Signing off


Shady West side!!!






PS: I know a new name, do you guys like it?