Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Bench

The training period  ended and there was no sign of a project. I had heard stories about the bench, there were a few legendary people who resurrected their careers here. A few others decided to go the unconventional way and well we remember only those who succeeded, and the losers forgotten very conveniently. I retired for the day with the thoughts of what I would do on the bench. Like all normal men, negative thoughts haunted me at first.I saw an image of skeletal remains of a man on bench, it was disturbing, but it was the manifestation of all the long bench stories I have been told.




A trait in myself, which I have come to admire, is the resilience. I keep telling myself, that I have to walk just a little more longer. And I did just that, I asked myself to look at the positive. There were quite a few of them. The training period was exhaustive and a little break from work wouldn't be bad ( I know being lethargic doesn't sound good, but give me work and I wouldn't be lethargic anymore!). This free time I would have would help me loose all the extra flab I have been carrying with myself for the past few months( Time to say goodbye tummy!). Moreover I would also give me time to write, a little more time for my blog, a little more time to dig deep into my mind and give my thoughts words. Give words to some gyaan which I always have handy, and am ever ready to share. So now the image of the bench had transformed from a Dakhma( a place where Zoroastrians leave their dead) to a beautiful image of a place from were I can stare at the beautiful sky of imagination, which would playfully tell me stories and teach me a lesson called life. Done then, I would approach the bench with dignity and positive energy much like the Bizarro comic at the right.





The next day arrived and I walked to the office premises, and asked for the location of 'The Bench'. A wry smile and a few exchanged words later, I realized that there is no such area as bench. Each one of us was assigned a separate location to sit, and some kind of a task to do.Well positive thoughts work,and now I would have some work to do . In a few minutes, positive energy was replaced by panic. I wasn't assigned  a PC, and for some reason it is not being possible to do so,like always worse thoughts arrived, and well they left immediately when I was told that I was assigned a project and have to reach the Project manager ASAP.


Footnotes:

This is not how things happened, so the situations have been modified for entertainment purposes. This story is of a close one and is written with the point of view of that person.


Image courtesy: Bizarro comics




11 comments:

Anonymous said...

well I must say your expressions are amazing.. and so are your stories that strive to bring out 'larger than life' portrayal of characters and events. keep it up and hold it high!

Rakesh Vanamali said...

Very typical of someone under a bench.......good to see an update!

Take care of yourself!

Magali Vaz said...

Never lose that resilience you have!
Keep blogging!

Jon said...

I don't hate bench... unlike most in IT

Well career growths are not the only things in life!!! My policy

Eswari said...

Shahid...seems like I am reading my own story....I could easily c myself in there( the 'bench' one)....thanks for writing it yaar...if I was u, I would n't have done better justice to this post..

MADHU RAO | (INDImag.COM) said...

Bench is scary but keep up that resilience, it will pay off. I'm on the other side of the equation where it's too much work and you cannot complain -- we are told it's a problem you would want to have ! :-)

Hari said...

I have sat on the bench a few times myself. I was not paid which was the tough part and I had to look for projects myself. Glad to know that the main character finally found a project.

aayanman said...

bench is a funny place, lasting friendships and worst enemies sit side by side...all courtesy of a blooming project.

Bikram said...

THE BENCH.. its a good place to sit and reflect too sometimes .. about things of What you had, now no more .. or what you can Have.. too . Depends how you look at it ..

So how is the project going .. All the best mate ..

Seema Syed said...

Definitely occupying bench is not bad, sometimes it gives you good enough time to reflect upon lot of things. Once you are into project, you will realize the time spent on the bench is much more peaceful. Good to know that you are already into the project. Best wishes for your first project. Enjoy ur work.

Shady West Side said...

@ Deependra: Hey thanks a lot man...its for comments like these that I write..keep them coming

@Rakesh: Do I even need to thank you?

@Magali: I surely will not

@Jon: I agree...seeing manutd crush arsenal..priceless

@Eswari: Your comments keep making me feel that somewere down the line god did a copy paste of our destinies but at different locations!!

@Madhu: May god give you more work, coz now that I am workin on a project I wish the bench would have lasted longer than a day

@Hari: your story is inspiring

@Gyanban: now I know why you call yurself gyanban

@Bikram: thanks bikram

@ Seema: Now that I am on project I can find sense in what you said